Visit Westwood Church of God

Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Book By Any Other Name

Last week I posted an entry saying that I was involved in an extended writing project and I may have to forego further blog entries for the time being. Well, after a marathon writing effort, I was able to complete the project earlier this week. It just goes to prove the old adage: Ask a simple question, get a thirty-nine page response. At any rate, I am finished, and wanted to make a new entry for this week. Hopefully it will make sense (the length may be short and the words not quite right, but I’m still recovering from writing overload!).

I love to read (I have a combined library of well over 2,000 titles), but usually the only time I have to engage in reading is between the hours of 12:00 to 3:00 AM. I have had, on occasion, up to nine books going simultaneously, my bedside table a strange mix of stacked and precariously balanced literature. However, I’ve finally cleared some space and am now reading only two books, one is a new book I borrowed from a church member, the other one that I’ve read at least three times before.

I am an avid fan of the historical fiction works of Jeff Shaara, whom I’ve actually had the honor of meeting, and hope to meet again in November. Each time I read (or in my case, reread) one of his books, I make the same joke, “I’m wondering if it will end the same way this time?” It’s a worn-out joke, but as I thought about it, there is a great lesson to see.

I have all of Jeff Shaara’s novels, and one by his father. They have to deal with American military conflicts, and there are currently seven works ranging from the American Revolution to World War One. Soon there will be the first volume of a WWII series. I’ve read them all several times, and I will no doubt read the new ones several times as well. But no matter how often I read them, they always begin, proceed and end the same way they always do.

But the Bible is different. Each time I pick up the Word of God, even if I read the same book, chapter and verse, I get something new every time. It’s more than a simple, “I don’t remember that,” or even, “Hmm, I’ve never noticed that before.” It is the realization of deep spiritual truth that comes only from the Holy Spirit.

It doesn’t matter how intelligent you are, how many times you read the Bible, or anything of that nature. Understanding of this nature comes only from the guidance of the Spirit, revealing to your mind and heart the deep mysteries of God and His Word. I have never ceased to be amazed that the Bible is the only book that has that ability.

For those who don’t know the Lord, the Bible is just another book, but for me, it is much more. It inspires, guides and teaches me every day. I believe it is capable of doing this because the Bible is more, much more than an ordinary book. It is truly the inspired Word of God, alive in Spirit, and this earnest desire to learn more of God is met by the Lord opening up my limited understanding to greater awareness of Him.

I am glad that each time I open my Bible and read the words penned so many centuries ago, it remains relevant, fresh, and continues to make an impact on my life. And I thank God for counting me worthy to receive His Word. My only prayer is that not only would I understand it, but that I would have the knowledge, desire and ability to use it correctly.

© 2006, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by writing to soulscape@alltel.net. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

No comments: