Visit Westwood Church of God

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I Like to Be Regular

It's not what it sounds like. My title refers, of course, to the schedule on which I make postings here on Soulscape. I like to take the time to think about some meaningful and spiritual topic on which to post on Mondays, as well as the structured Thursday Bible Study Commentaries. However I seem to be having a more difficult time keeping up with things. Soulscape has been an important outlet for me over the last year-and-a-half (give or take a few months) and from the comments and emails I've received, I believe it has in some small way helped you, the reader. So, I have a favor to ask of you before I continue with this entry (which will also have to do with the title, only not in that aforementioned yucky way).

Should I not be able to post on a regular basis on Mondays and Thursdays, please bear with me and don't give up on me. I am currently involved with a few different ministerial things which require more time in study and writing. And while it is somewhat amusing for my family and friends to think that I have some sort of growth in the shape of my laptop growing out of my legs and fingertips, I do need some time away from this contraption. I have not left this blog, but for the next several weeks my postings may not be as regular. I have also postponed my Thursday postings until the first part of June in an effort to focus on these other important matters. Thanks for your understanding.

Okay, on with things. I like to be regular, not just in postings, but in living a consistent Christian life. Pastors are often placed on a higher platform than they deserve, which means that when they make a mistake, when they stumble or fall (as all human beings are wont to do on occasion) they have farther to fall, and cause more collateral damage when they hit the bottom. This kind of pressure often drives people such as this to attempt to live up to the unrealistic standards of man. When they do mess up, they get so discouraged with themselves or so persecuted by others that they "give in" even more, or worse: the "give up" entirely.

However, this desire to be more consistent in my own Christian life does not have my job as its primary motivation. My desire for consistency is out of a love for the Lord. While I love Him with all my heart, and know that I would be nothing apart from Him, I recognize my own personal failings, and I know He (or the testimony of Him) does not deserve to suffer because of them. So, what am I to do? In my role as a pastor, I have listened to countless people tell me how much they want to give the Lord more attention in their life. They want to get closer to Him, live more for Him, be a dynamic witness to His love and mercy. They, or we, have one thing in common: the battle of knowledge verses decision.

In our heads, even in our hearts, we hear that voice within us which says, "You're not living where you need to be," or "You can do better." We acknowledge our failings and shortcomings, we listen to the testimony of friends or the message of some preacher and say, "Yes! That's what I need to do." And then . . . nothing. We go on about the business of daily life, content in the recognition of where we fall short, and then do nothing about it. (NOTE: For more on this topic, check out recent messages I've preached by visiting http://westwoodchurchofgod.org/podcast for more information, click on http://feeds.feedburner.com/westwoodonline to be taken directly to the streaming audio and download page, or search the iTunes store for "Chris Keeton" and listen from there.)

What will it take to move us from knowledge to action? The Holy Spirit helps us to learn and grow, but the only way we can learn and grow is to have the desire to listen and act on what we hear. We must begin by understanding that every one of us has plenty of room to grow in Christ. By definition, we are all children, and as such we are continually in the growth process. There is much work, much good work, to be done for the Lord, and we can do great things for Him. But we must be willing to be hearers of the Word, as well as doers.

Still, if you can find no other motivation, I suggest you try this: every day, and I mean EVERY day, get out of bed, go to the Lord in prayer, and say, "Lord, don't just show me, but help me today to be what You want me to be." Then go on with your daily business and seek those opportunities God will open for you to serve and grow in Him. He will never let us down, no matter how much we let Him down. Remember that it's your choice to make every day, so make it the right choice. The best testimony a child of God can give does not come in bursts, but through the quiet and resilient consistency of the believer's life. Give it a try, and you will discover a life filled with blessings for you, and for those around you.

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Lesson learned:

Don't set up a schedule for yourself to write. God will let you know when to write and what to say. Every time we annouce to people what we are planning to do at a particular time, something always seems to stop us. Just go with the flow and move with the Spirit. Write when the Lord sends you to the blog. This makes for alot less stress of keeping up with schedules and creates the perfect environment for some incredible insights being posted on your blog.

Just a little advice from someone who has experienced this before.

God will lead. Duh!...haha


Jennifer