Visit Westwood Church of God

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Cover to Cover

1500. That number is the conservative estimate of books in my possession. My more generous estimate is somewhere over 2000, though. The oldest book I have is currently at the ripe young age of 157 (yes, one hundred, fifty-seven years). Probably between 2% and 5% are 100 years old or older. Perhaps 50%-60% are fifty to ninety-nine years old. The remainder of books is more current. If I started reading right now, and read every moment of every day, I probably would never get through them all. Some I've never read; others I have merely used as resources for specific items. Then there are those that I have read several times. I am currently re-re-re-re-re-reading an historical fiction series on the Civil War. Now this is just a preliminary prediction, but I am fairly certain it's going to end the very same way: the Union's going to win. The same people are going to live and the same people are going to die. The same battles will turn out the same way. That's the nature of books like this.

But not so my favorite book of all. The Bible is most certainly a unique book, for a number of reasons. For me, I think one of the most unique characteristic of the Bible is its ability to remain new and fresh. While it is an ancient collection of smaller books and letters, it is as contemporary as "tomorrow's newspaper," as my grandfather used to say. If you read a passage of Scripture five times, ten times, 1500 or even 2000 times, you can get that same number of new insights. For unbelievers this seems foolish, but most if not all Christians will understand what I'm talking about.

When you hear me or someone else say that the Bible is the Living Word of God, or that the Scriptures are "alive," it is true. Not in the sense that it breathes air or has blood pumping through it, but when you think about it, these things are true in a spiritual sense. The Bible has the ability to breathe fresh air into our mind and heart, and the blood of Jesus which flows across its pages most certainly affects our existence.

Yesterday evening I was speaking with my wife and I mentioned my fascination with the Bible. I love what it has to say. I love to find the deeper meanings within the pages, to go beyond the words and discover the truths of our Lord. Additionally, I said that it was amazing how two people can read the same words, hear the same sermon, study for the same amount of time, and come to two entirely different conclusions. There need not be animosity or argument in the differing ideas. In fact, open discussion of both points of view can be of great benefit to both parties, in that new avenues of thought and understanding can come from them. Too often people believe it is their duty to convince everyone that their way of thinking is the only "right" way. But when it comes down to it, we are to help edify one another, build one another up in love, support and understanding. The best way to do this is to follow the words of the Bible: study to show ourselves approved, approaching the Word as a laborer or workman, trying to discover all its truths.

I joke with my wife about how there is really only one difference between us: that I am right and she is wrong. I joke with her, saying that although I don't believe in gambling, it would be interesting to place a wager on who is right about certain issues (but of course, we won't know until we're in heaven, and since we can't take anything with us and it won't matter then anyway, what's the point?). But even though we might disagree on certain interpretations or have different points of view about some topics, what holds us together (and maintains the spirit of love and fellowship with other believers inside and outside my congregation) is the essential doctrine of salvation in Christ. Everything else is designed to help us in our walk with Him, to guide us, to give us hope for now as well as the future. If we can agree on Christ, that's all we need. Our unity, the unity which is required by God, comes from this truth, and nothing else is worth fighting over.

So I would suggest you spend some time with the Bible. Don't be afraid to discuss your ideas with those around you, with the understanding that Jesus is the center of it all. Find out what other people believe and why they believe as they do, and that will help you grow in your own spiritual life: inspiring change or reinforcing your original belief. If I didn't have a single book other than the Bible, I could read it alone from now on, and never be able to exhaust its wondrous truths. Try it for yourself, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

de ja vu ;)

Jennifer