Visit Westwood Church of God

Monday, April 16, 2007

What is God’s Plan?

Well, there's a good question. I think just about everyone has asked that at one time or another. In most cases, we don't understand why we go through things, or especially the timing of those things. But God does. This won't be a long entry, but I wanted to share just a couple of thoughts with you.

Two little slogans that I say from time to time seem to help me in those rougher patches of life. The first is, "The deeper the valley, the higher the mountain;" and the second is, "When it comes to seeing God's ways, hindsight is pretty clear." To me, these mean that in order to appreciate the glories of God's mountaintop experiences, He sometimes has to lead us through a deep valley. Those deep valleys are often the darkest, because the mountains on the sides of them are so high. So just keep looking up at where you're heading!

The second of those phrases has a little more personal meaning to me over the last few weeks (although both apply to recent situations). We often wonder why the Lord takes us down a particular path, or why we have to go through some situation. In many of those cases we have taken a wrong road, made a wrong choice; but sometimes the Lord is setting us up to see His grace, goodness and glory…at a later time.

Had it not been for the kindness of good friends and even a couple of perfect strangers, my family and I would have been in a very big mess. But since the Lord promised to take care of all our needs, we knew He would provide. We didn't ask anyone for help, just prayer. But through our faith in God, He was able to use others to help us. Almost a year ago I was involved in a particular circumstance where I was able to help someone. When this person said that they would "pay me back" I merely said, "Don't worry about it. I felt the Lord was leading me to do this, and so I wanted to. I don't require anything in return." Still, the person was insistent that eventually they would return the favor.

I never asked for it, and never expected it. I had already received a blessing so there was nothing else I needed (just the feeling I possessed from being obedient to the Lord, even in a situation that wasn't what I would describe as 'church related'); in fact, I had pretty much forgotten about the whole thing. Then, just the other morning, there was a knock at my door. This same person I had helped nearly a year ago said, "The Lord worked some things out for me, and when I was staring down at the money in my hand, you were the first person who came to mind." This person then placed the money in my hand, paying me back.

I looked down at the money and said, "You know, the Lord was always in control. A year ago I didn't have a need, but over the last two weeks or so things have been tight. He knew then what I didn't, that I myself would need help. Even though you had your own struggles over this last year, he brought us both out of the valley just when we needed it the most."

As a pastor it is often my job to offer words of comfort and hope to those in need. Countless times I've told people to hold on, that God was still in control and He would come through when the time was right. I've seen it, and I've lived it, so I know it works. But it never ceases to amaze me when He comes through. My amazement is not a matter of doubt, but that He is there for us every time! That will never cease to amaze me.

So my advice to you is to hang in there. Don't fail to listen to the Lord, to serve, to give, and know that He has a plan. When His timing is right, He will show you just what can be accomplished through faith in Him. It might not be immediate, but when it's in God's time, it's the right time. God bless!

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Amen!

Jennifer