Visit Westwood Church of God

Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Mouths of Babes

What makes me feel very good is the fact that my son loves church. He goes for friends, he goes to have fun, but he learns stuff as well. Growing up in the household of a pastor isn't the easiest thing in the world, and many times you find the children of pastors rejecting what their parents stand for; it's almost a natural reaction affecting nearly all youth. Rebellion is natural. Unfortunately for those parents who have a relationship with Christ, the rebellion is often manifested in a resistance to all things "church."

Now there's plenty of time for my son to really start rebelling (truth be told, we're never too young or old and as adults we ourselves are too often guilty of trying our own way over God's way), but I am impressed with his faith thus far. Before telling everyone goodnight, he makes sure to say, "See you tomorrow, Lord willing." He is not afraid to pray for food, for needs, whatever. The other day he told me that Jesus was his best friend.

Complex thinking for a four-year-old? I don't think so. In fact, I think it's so simple that a four-year-old can understand it when we sometimes forget. Lily Tomlin once told a joke that said, "Why is it when you talk to God it's called 'praying,' but when God talks to you you're schizophrenic?" My son came out of his room the other day and said Jesus told him something. He does that every now and again. I am not claiming to be the parent of a modern-day Samuel; there are times his imagination and creativity form the basis of his messages (i.e. Yesterday he said, "Dad, Jesus told me to bring you this can of Pringles Mini-Bites." Don't know if Jesus indeed say that, but they were appreciated…and tasty). But he knows the concept that the Lord can speak to him.

Do I believe Jesus is audibly speaking to my son? I don't know, and I wouldn't say that He is not. But I do think that the complexity of Godly, spiritual communication is much more simple than we think. A child is told that God can hear them, and they believe it without question. That's faith. As we grow older, our faith decreases as our cynicism increases. "Prove it," we say. But if a child is given the chance, they will exercise their basic faith in the Lord. It's then that we can learn from them, because as Christ told us, in order to approach Him we must have the faith of a child.

A child's faith is not complex, it is not difficult. It is simple, it is full, and it is complete. I used to ask my son who his best friend was because I knew he'd say, "You are, Dad." And I liked that. But knowing my son has a new best friend is just fine with me.

© 2008, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

No comments: