Visit Westwood Church of God

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

There’s No Place Like Home, Home, Home and Home…and Home

So, the Christmas madness has come to an end, and the regular, day-to-day madness can once more kick into gear. It is an accepted fact of life that Christmas around here is a multi-day and multi-location event. And along with the sheer number of places to go comes the knowledge that there will once again be an obscene number of gifts to haul. This year we actually took two vehicles to ensure we had enough space (especially since this is the first Christmas with two kids). My wife took the car with the boys, and I followed with the pickup truck which, I am almost ashamed to say, were both utilized in hauling the "haul."

This year's booty included books and bikes and the ubiquitous clothing. There were gift cards and appliances and all manner of other goodies. As I grew up, I really looked forward to all the different places I had to visit because I knew I'd be getting lots of stuff. Now that I'm married and have children of my own, the amount of gifts has grown, the number of places to visit has increased, and something a little unexpected yet important seems to occur more frequently with each passing year.

As I sit here in my recliner, trying to relax just a bit prior to walking the piles of pre- and post-Christmas trash to the road, I can't help but feel a bit awash in some level of what I would characterize as shame or embarrassment. Each Christmas most people in America have their "wish lists" and wait until Christmas morning to see how many of those little wishes go from the list to the gift pile. Some are disappointed, others are satisfied, and still others are surprised by the extravagance of things they never thought to ask for and, quite frankly, do not need.

I know in our family, extended and otherwise, we got far more than we need. And at moments like these, it almost seems wrong somehow. As I look above me I see a ceiling. Around me are walls, a floor, a refrigerator filled with more than we can eat. There is light, and heat, baubles of all kinds, and most importantly there are those who love me. What more does a person really need?

There are lots of folks in the world today who, unlike us, haven't spent two days visiting five different houses. They were lucky to have a warm meal or get a gift of any kind. The Lord has truly blessed me, has blessed all of us. It's a shame we take all we have for granted.

NOTE: I will be returning to a regular(-ish) schedule next week, writing each Monday on a variety of topics here on Soulscape. And while I have but a few regular readers, I would like to let you in on the possibility of an exciting and hopefully interesting venture. In the early days of the New Year I may be publishing an e-newsletter to be sent straight to your inbox. Whether this will take the place of this Soulscape Blog remains to be seen, but it most certainly will augment this blog's outreach and ministry. So be in prayer for that endeavor. Should I undertake it, you might just have to visit your Inbox for the latest Soulscape entry. At any rate, it's good to be back (in any shape or form) and I look forward to many more days with you! God bless.

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

T said...

I really like the idea of you publishing an e-newsletter. I will be looking forward to it.

Teresa Cumpton