Visit Westwood Church of God

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

And The List Grows Longer

So, I'm sitting here today, a shoulder in pain after what I can only assume is some effect of over-usage in yesterday's furniture moving adventures, and I figure I can use the time to make a new blog entry. Since it's only my hands that are involved in the typing (my shoulder is making sure the rest of my arm isn't involved in any way), I suppose I can get to it. Last week I posted a few bits of "advice," and I'd like to continue that thought; I'd like to add some practical things to the list which might assist in the everyday spiritual workings of your life.

1. Give Your All. This goes along with number 2 in my last entry, and so it is important that we examine it. When we hold anything, anything back from the Lord, we are not only denying God what He deserves, we are also limiting ourselves and what we can do for Him. For the most part, the majority of Christians try to get by with as little giving as possible, doing only what is necessary to "get by." Some justify it by saying, "Well, I give way more time than anyone else, and so I shouldn't be expected to give more in other areas." For instance, someone might say they attend every Sunday and Wednesday service, even Sunday School, and so they are not going to go to additional meetings because they're more faithful an a lot of others in that way. Others may say, "I tithe my money, my time, my energy and efforts. I calculated out 10% of everything. I've done my part and I'll do no more." This is restrictive.

I would never suggest that every penny and every moment be spent at your local church, but I would most definitely state that we should be willing to offer God everything, not just the tithe (the 10%) He asks of us in His Word. By simply being willing, ready to offer anything and everything if the Lord asks, we are freeing ourselves to be all God wants us to be. God is only limited by the restrictions we ourselves place upon Him. He will never force us, never drive us like a slave-master; recall that Jesus said to the sick that "your faith has made you whole." If the faith wasn't there, the desire to be healed and the willingness for the Lord to do the healing, it would not have happened. I recall when Jesus went back home one time, the Bible said he could not do many great works there "because of their unbelief." The more we hold for ourselves, the more we keep back, the less the Lord can do in our lives, the less we are able to do and experience and feel. We must give our all.

2. Seek Godly Counsel. Often times we believe we can handle any situation that comes our way; we feel invincible and smart. But sometimes we need some godly counsel. This does not mean you ask a friend what they would do, or what you should do. Your friend might not be the best person to ask (perhaps they aren't a Christian at all or perhaps they're not as strong in the faith as they need to be to offer advice; and also those closest to you might not be as objective and unbiased in a given situation). It is important to pray for guidance from the Lord, but you should also pray that He would show you someone with whom you can discuss an issue and get the kind of counsel God would have you to follow. This kind of advice comes usually from seasoned Christians, those who have lived a life of faith for a while. Other factors come into play as well: personality, maturity, intelligence, but these are really side issues. If you pray for guidance, remember that God can help guide you through your brothers and sisters in Christ. Pray that He would show you whom to talk with and that He would be working on that end as well, to prepare them to help you. In this way, not only are you helped, but the counselor is helped and the work of the kingdom and your relationship with Jesus is strengthened.

3. Don't Cheese-Off Your Pastor. This is a personal one for me. Of course I don't mean it the way it might be taken; I don't think a pastor should be a dictator and blindly followed no matter what. I include this because I believe it is vital for the life of the congregation that the pastor be listened to and respected because of the office and position he or she holds. The job of pastor is a difficult one, because while the pastor is there to offer sermons, counsel and support, to be a problem-solver and a helper, but who is there for the pastor? Let's say a congregation has 100 members. That one pastor now has 100 people to pray about, 100 people with problems of their own, 100 people to lead, and that's in the best of circumstances. I can tell you that in my own life there are so many issues that require attention. Add those to the ones that come along with church, and it's a big burden. Pastors are to encourage, they are to be pillars of faith and lead by example. But pastors are often overwhelmed with worry and despair; not because of a lack of faith in what the Lord can do, but because of the awesome responsibility which God has given him or her. That can sometimes be too much for a person to bear. Most churches have a pastoral staff while others, like my own, have only one pastor. No matter what kind of staff your church has, don't wait until October to appreciate your pastor (that's the official Pastor's Appreciation Month). Be a support, be a helper, be there to listen because many times the pastor could use a shoulder to lean on as well. If you do this, everyone's burden will be light enough to carry together, and your church will grow stronger. And, you'll find a renewed sense of appreciation for the tasks God has called all of us to do.

That will do it for now. Who knows? I might give a few more sage wisdom McNuggets next time; wherever the Lord leads, though, is where we'll go. Thanks for stopping by today!

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I guess God decided you were going to post something on your blog on Tuesday even though you thought you weren't. Sometimes we need to have a hurt arm or something in order to get us to slow down.

Be careful and don't overwork yourself. Take time for rest and you'll be better able to help others. I like knowing God's still using you through your fingers on that keyboard. Looks like the rest of you needed a rest....haha!

Miss our chats.

Jennifer