Visit Westwood Church of God

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Manageable But Unwelcome Uncertainties

It was a few months ago, March to be exact, when I made an entry in which I used the phrase "when it rains, it pours." Although my own little neck of the woods is experiencing drought conditions, in other areas of life the rains are indeed falling. Some things which occupy my mind are positive, others negative, but through it all the Lord's grace is sufficient.

The last couple of weeks have been particularly taxing for our family, with the discovery that my grandfather (who lives with us, who was at one time my pastor, and is still my mentor and friend) has developed cancer in his mouth. Through biopsies and unexpected medicine reactions to hospital stays, these last two weeks have been what I will call "crunch time." There comes a moment in life where faith is put to the test. This is not to say that faith is questioned, but that all the beliefs and all the words you've held to and spoken of for so long are brought before you.

In my case (as a pastor) I advocate trust and grace and peace on a weekly basis. But it's easy to say those things; it's an entirely different thing to live it. Over the years I've watched others confront their faith in courageous fashion; some have had a difficult time remaining at peace through the storms in their life. It had always been one of those defining questions for me: how would I handle rough situations in my own life? Perhaps better stated would be, "Will I be able to practice what I preach?"

As questions and crises have arisen these last couple of weeks, I have been aware of that tangible-yet-unexplainable peace not only in the lives of my grandparents, but also in myself. Is it any less difficult or painful? Not at all. But just underneath all the uncertainties and impulse to give into that paralyzing fear is that small ribbon of grace and peace which calms the tumultuous waters on life's sea. There is no way to know how the situation ends; there is no way to discover what a year, a month or even a day has in store for us. Yet there is no doubt that God will be there to see us through.

At a time like this it is not always easy to find the words. There are too many emotions, and with the Spirit of God there are not really words that exist to convey one's thoughts and feelings. But throughout it all it is possible to know that "it's going to be okay." Those aren't just words anymore. They are a lifeline.

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It really is going to be o.k. .....since you know he's going to heaven. What a blessing to know these things!

Jennifer