Visit Westwood Church of God

Monday, February 19, 2007

No Thanks, I'll Just Lay Here

“Are you okay?” asked my wife, as she looked over at my laid-back head and closed eyes. Nodding ever-so-slowly, I tried to open my eyes by forcing them open, this being accomplished by attempting to raise my eyebrows into my hairline. With a bit of light creeping into my peepers, I said, “Just tired, and trying to think of something to write in my blog.”
Last night I did something I rarely do: I took two, yes, TWO generic pain reliever PM tablets (just like Tylenol PM, only cheaper). You wouldn’t think that a big guy like me would be fazed by two little pills, but they do the job. Usually, when I’ve had trouble sleeping, I will take one of these nighttime wonders and will be fine. I was having some neck and shoulder pain (a nerve issue), and some other things going on, so I said to myself, “Go ahead and take two. The wife is out of school tomorrow, so you can sleep in.”
Sleeping in was not a problem on this day. One of these sleep aid pills usually puts me to sleep. Two knocks me out, so much so that all the next day I am what can simply be called “groggy.” If I were awake enough, I’d be more creative than that, but I just can’t think right now; so I guess groggy will do.
Yesterday was a good day, church-wise. Having services was not guaranteed, as a beautiful snowfall had blanketed the roads around the region, including our church property. But while several people suggested that we just call off for the day, I felt an overwhelming need to press on with business as usual. We had a decent crowd for such weather, some visitors, and in the morning service we had someone give their heart to the Lord. So I think it was a good day.
But what many people don’t understand is that preaching wears a person out. “How can that be?” you ask, shaking your head, a chuckle in your voice as you wonder how just standing up and talking for a while can be tiring. I can’t explain it, but for me, I try to put as much energy (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) into each message, then once its over I have to prepare a new message.
So, when I got home last night and finished watching my weekly cry-fest (also known as “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”), I played a couple of rounds of Tiger Woods golf on my PlayStation, listened to some iPod tunes, read a chapter in a book, and went to sleep. Today, I’ve been in a sort of fog, one induced by that convergence of Tylenol and Benadryl which is Tylenol PM. A trip to pick up a prescription, waiting in line to wash my car, and sitting here has just been quite tiring.
This got me thinking about one of the verses in the twenty-third Psalm, which says that the Lord “makes me to lie down in green pastures.” Maybe on days like this, medicine or exercise induced, the Lord MAKES me take a little break, to refresh myself with His still waters and quiet presence. We live in such a frenetic world that even though we might “be about our Father’s business,” we sometimes miss the beauty and necessity of these green pastures.
Sometimes when we are going faster or farther than God wants us to go, the Lord has to make us slow down, for our own benefit and health, for His benefit and work, and maybe, just maybe, so that we can enjoy the beauty of the green pastures around us.
So the next time you are feeling a bit out of sorts, tired, or you just feel like “vegging out” for a little bit (not every day, mind you!), just don’t forget to spend a little of that resting time with the Lord. Let Him refresh your mind, body and soul so that you can serve Him even better.
With that, I will bring this entry to a close. I will add the copyright info to the end of this entry, copy and paste it into the blog, and then kick my feet up for a while. And if you hear what sounds like a grizzly bear being choked by a pine cone, just nudge me and tell me to roll over, and I’ll stop snoring.

© 2007, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

No comments: