Visit Westwood Church of God

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

At a Loss

The cupboard is bare. The TV is on but the station is out. Deal or No Deal is still going on, but the million-dollar case is out of play. All these familiar and less-than-familiar euphemisms illustrate my mind at this moment. For the last few days I've been looking forward to writing a new entry today, rolling up my sleeves (not an easy task since it's been warm enough for me to currently wear a short-sleeved shirt) and getting down to my literary and spiritual passion of wordsmithing.

And I got nothin'.

Yes, I am at a loss for words, a rare occurrence (or feat, as the case may be) for a preacher. Perhaps I have used up my word allotment for the week. Maybe the ol' brain-box is just experiencing some transmission problems. Who knows? I had hoped for something, some insight into Scripture, some big event to bring to you that would cleverly and clearly show some deep spiritual truth. But I just can't seem to get it moving. So what will I do? Well, I guess I can just list some of the things that have been going on or will be upcoming in my own life, some plans and things like this. Probably boring, but I figure I can at least give it a try.

  • Our church congregation ordained a new Associate Pastor this past Sunday, which I expect to greatly enhance the spiritual growth and well-being of the individuals of the congregation, as well as the furthering of God's work.
  • The Second Annual CrossWalk, where we carry a cross for nearly two miles through various neighborhoods near the church, will be coming up on March 21st. Last year my greatest expectation was for 15 people and a couple of cars. We had 500% more take part. This year I'm looking forward to even greater success, and we've added a gospel concert and fellowship dinner after the CrossWalk itself, which will hopefully show the Lord even more to those who need to see Him at work in people's lives.
  • I still have hopes for an e-mail newsletter to either supplement or replace the Soulscape blog. A final decision on that will be made probably within the next couple of months, so I'll keep you updated.
  • Many computer-related issues have finally been resolved, and we actually have just about everything we need at church when it comes to the technology area. Took some time and effort and great frustrations, but I finally got everything set up, which is quite exciting for a geek like myself.
  • There are a number of things we hope to improve upon, some changes we are looking to make, in our church worship experience (the first step of which dealt with the Associate Pastor position). We're trying to break free from a "business as usual" attitude and shifting to a real, meaningful and different kind of situation when people come to church. It should never be about habit or tradition, but about getting in touch with the Lord or, rather, letting Him get in touch with us. Many ideas are being floated around, many paths are being pursued and, with the Lord's help, we can make a great impact on our community and our world through our willingness to follow this year's motto and philosophy of our congregation: ANSWERING THE CALL.
  • I also hope to start working on a long-thought-of book I've been pushing to the back burner, waiting for a more convenient time to start writing. Soon I hope to pick up writing on it again and before too long have something ready to publish. Be in prayer with me about it!

I guess that will about do it for this entry. Wish I had more to say, something to help you through whatever it is you're going through. But perhaps next time will be a little easier. Lots going on, big plans, a great future. But it will all require a great touch from the Lord to get everything off the ground and running smoothly. Until next time, I pray for all the best for you. And, looking back on this entry, I guess even being at a loss for words can include a lot of words for a preacher.

© 2008, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press.  All rights reserved.  All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States.  It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by leaving a comment (with your request) which will be forwarded to Chris Keeton. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted.  Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.T

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I liked reading the things you listed. It makes me very excited for your congregation!

Don't forget about the get together this spring. Mike will let you know about the location if you ask him. ;)

Jennifer