Visit Westwood Church of God

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock...BZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Time has a way of getting the best of all of us. How many times have we said something like, “Where has this week gone?” In all that we have to deal with these days, it’s easy to look back and say, “I just don’t have the time to do this.”

The modern way of looking at life is a philosophy of ‘more is better,’ and ‘more’ is seen in everything: hobbies, work, food, whatever. We cram our lives full of things that don’t really make that much of a difference. But there is one interesting thing that is often overlooked, probably because we’re too busy to realize it: as our lives get busier, the Lord is pushed further and further out of our lives.

I’ll admit, there are a lot of things that pull me in different directions. There are responsibilities that must be met as a pastor, as a husband and father, as a friend. There are responsibilities to myself and to my own personal well-being. With so many things requiring attention, some of the things I’d like to do just don’t get done when and how I’d like them to be. This blog, for instance, or our church website (http://westwoodchurchofgod.org , if you’re interested!) often take a back seat to everything else.

Some would say that’s perfectly understandable. Sure, there are lots of things to occupy my mind and my time. There are strategies to me made, sermons to prepare, visits to make, prayer and study time, meetings and counseling, and on and on. That’s just in one part of my life. What about the rest? The house and yard work, playing with my son, spending time with my wife and family and friends? Is there really just not enough hours in the day?

There are plenty of hours in the day. Everyone has 24, and each person has to decide how he or she will use them. We must prioritize and stick to our plan in order to fit everything in. But we must never allow ourselves to push God further and further away. It is our duty, our responsibility, and our privilege to give the Lord the first and best of all we have and are. We are guilty of giving Him what’s left, not what’s first. This takes determination and faith, both of which are increased the more we give to the Lord.

I might not be able to update this blog as regularly or as often as I would like but rest assured it is an important part of my life. I enjoy doing it, even if no one else enjoys reading it. I feel it is an outlet to express my thoughts and my views of life’s challenges, of Scripture, of practical applications of Godly principles.

No matter what your situation might be, I urge you never to allow life and its duties (even your Christian responsibilities) to come in between you and the Lord. Find time, make time to spend with Him, just the two of you. Let Him speak to your heart, let Him guide you, let Him strengthen you to do His will. Then, allow Him to organize your life, showing you what is truly important.

Someone once said, “Well, in a hundred years, what will it matter?” What we do on a daily basis might not mean much in a hundred years. But what we do spiritually can have an eternal impact on souls for years and years to come. Be faithful to the Lord, trust in and serve Him, and He will take care of you.

© 2006, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by writing to soulscape@alltel.net. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I recently heard a motivational speaker say that we should totally change our ideas regarding goal setting and set 100 year and even 500 year goals. It totally blew my mind.

But as a Christian it makes perfect sense. On the scale of eternity even 500 years down the road is not even close to outrageous.

As a child of the MTV generation (too much is never enough) I still get it wrong much of the time. But from what I see here you seem to have a good grip on your priorities.

I'll add your blog to my feed reader. When you get a chance to add to it I'll be back to check out what you have to say.