Visit Westwood Church of God

Thursday, January 26, 2006

More to It Than Meets the Eye


I don’t know how you feel about it, but I am confident in many things. This confidence is not arrogance, it is not some self-propagating delusion. It comes from faith. Hebrews 11:1 describes faith as “the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Some people believe faith is empty, that it’s some invisible wish for the impossible. But faith to the active believer is the proof, in and of itself. Those having this active faith find that their hopes are not empty wishes, but they have substance, they are tangible. Faith itself gives evidence of those things beyond physical sight, human impossibility and even spiritual understanding.

Over the years, as I have watched the final moments of many Godly men and women, I have stood in awe at the transition from this life to the next. It doesn’t always happen this way, nor is every passing identical. But through faith, I have experienced reality of what lies beyond.

The Apostle Paul said that eyes have not seen, ears have not heard, nor even in the vividness of our imagination can we conceive the smallest fraction of the glories and perfection of heaven. But for many, I feel that as their earthy life comes to a close, their physical eyes are opened to glimpse a portion of what awaits them. Perhaps it is to give them peace as they leave this life behind.

Or maybe, it is to give hope and comfort to those left behind to grieve.

Standing with these home-going saints, I have watched them reach toward an invisible hand, speak of wondrous illumination and beautiful music, smile in the midst of pain and be at perfect peace. To me, and my faith, this is much more than the “walking to the bright light” experiences some people claim. This is real, and while it gives even more substance for these hoped-for things to those leaving, it gives such deep joy and peace to those who know where their loved ones are going. Sometimes, that’s the biggest source of strength for people with such great pain.

In reference to my last entry, my mother-in-law gained victory over this life and its pain on Monday, January 16th, at 11:55 PM. For six days we waited and prayed, not only for the Lord’s will to be done for her, but for courage and strength for the family and friends to make it through their loss.

At 47, my mother-in-law was young, but it was her appointed time, and she met it with as much grace and dignity possible. For her oldest child, my wife, the days before her death were spent in intense prayer, but with a simple request. Her mother was there to hold her when she was born. My wife wanted to be there to hold her mother’s hand as she passed from this life.

There were times over the course of these last days that my wife thought her prayer would not be answered. But in the end, the Lord granted her request, and as her mother’s life here came to its conclusion, my wife held her hand. But more than this, the Lord granted her a unique and very special blessing.

I asked her to share it with the readers of this blog. The following are the thoughts of a daughter, documented just a day after her mother’s passing. I was inspired and strengthened by her experience, and what the Lord shared with her during the most difficult time of her life will, I believe, inspire you as well.

For those of you who knew me from the beginning, you may remember the situation with my mother who was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). Many of you prayed for me and my family. My deepest thanks goes to each of you. The last few months have been unbelievably trying, with the last week topping it off.

Last Wednesday morning
[Jan. 11], in between classes, I walked into my office to find my cell phone blinking with a message. I froze as I saw it was from my father. I immediately knew something was wrong. I called him and he informed me that my mother (who had been in an assisted living care center since October) was near death, and that Hospice strongly suggested that family members get there ASAP. I work 30 minutes away from where she was located, so I rushed home to my husband who proceeded to drive me to her location. I was devastated upon arrival, as she was either purple or a color I can't really explain. We all took our private turns with her, saying anything that needed to be said. Wednesday came and went, she stayed. By Thursday afternoon she had greatly improved; however her blood pressure, pulse, and breathing continued to have irregularities.

Night after night I would stay by her side, something I never thought I would have been strong enough to do.

On Sunday evening, per God's orders, I went to church instead of up to my mom. I was tremendously blessed there as God proved His presence to me. (another story) Anyway, Sunday night as I was getting ready to go back to spend the night by my mother's side, I called my dad "just to check." He told me that they had upped her medicine earlier in the day, and that she was quite peaceful now and able to stay asleep for hours at a time. He told me to stay home and get some sleep (which I was severely lacking... I didn't care, though). I did not take this well, and it was only through a strong prayer warrior and God's blessed peace that I actually did stay home Sunday night and got some rest.

All was good until a new complication terrorized my view. My father called Monday morning around 10:30 and said that she really was headed out this time, if not already gone. She had no detectable pulse and no blood pressure. I once again rushed back to her, mad at God for not letting me be with her when she went. I kept thinking, "If only I had stayed, this wouldn't have happened." Once I got there; however, a nurse informed me that she was still alive; barely, but she was. I quickly and sheepishly asked forgiveness from my Heavenly Father.

I stayed by her side for hours Monday until I had to walk and cry and walk and cry and... well, you get the picture. By the time evening came around I sent my husband back home to get my 2-year-old son to simply come and sleep where I was, since it looked to be a long night. As I lay in bed across the hall from my Mother, trying to get my son to sleep, my husband comes in and says it truly is time. I rush to her side, take her hand in mine, and put my other hand on her stomach where I was comforted to feel her heart beating still. It was only moments later, however, at the same time I hear others say they aren't seeing her do anything anymore, I have this feeling I can't explain (I really wish I could). As my free hand once again returned to her stomach and found the now-silent spot where her heart had been beating just a few seconds before, it was then that I understood the feeling I couldn’t explain. It was then I realized (Thanks to Jesus) that as I held one of her hands, our blessed Jesus held her other. (Talk about an awesome experience!)

She passed at 11:55 Monday night, January 16th. She was 47 years old. While I missed her so, I felt so relieved that she was no longer suffering.

Twenty-four hours have passed since that time, and I have had more than my share of ups and downs. I need your prayers again as this hurt is more than I had ever known.

My theme verse right now, the words I repeated and prayed over and over again throughout this whole experience is Philippians 4:13 – "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." because I most certainly can not do this without HIM. The song "Homesick" from the group Mercy Me sums everything else up nicely.


God truly is wonderful, and our faith that sees us through such times as these is made strong in our weakness by the substance and evidence He provides through His indescribable grace.

© 2006, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by writing to soulscape@alltel.net. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

No comments: