Visit Westwood Church of God

Monday, October 17, 2005

A Fistful of Hours

I have been delayed in writing an entry for this blog for longer than anticipated, but there has been much going on. I have found that, no matter how busy you think you might be, it can always get worse. I have been astounded at the amount of things to occupy my time and attention, as well as the speed at which time flies.

Looking outside my window right now, I can see the hints of autumn, the subtle changing colors of the leaves, an almost perceptible crispness to the air. As the year winds down, once again completing the cycle of time, I think back over the past year, all that I hoped to accomplish, all that I wish I’d had the opportunity to do. I realize then that what seemed like a long time in childhood is apparently not long enough.

Of course, we all look around and see how we could have used our time differently, how we could have made different or better decisions. But this time of year really illustrates how quickly time goes. What are we really doing with our time and our choices? Are we focusing on things that truly matter, or wasting time on things that are more of a distraction than a crisis?

Very often we do make mountains out of molehills. We fret and worry and use the one thing we truly possess: time. Sure, there might not be enough of it to satisfy all we wish we could do, but we all have 24 hours a day. What we spend that time doing determines who we are, and who we will eventually become.

Each of us uses our time to what we believe is our own advantage. But I believe the only way to truly spend time wisely is to use it helping others, whether it’s working for or just being there for others. There is no greater use of time and life than by positively affecting those around you, especially for the Lord.

My birthday was a little over a week ago, and it doesn’t seem like it’s been all that long since my last one. I think back over this year and, while I wish I could have done more for the Lord and for others, I believe I’ve done some good for people. I don’t always feel like this; no one does, especially when we get down and depressed. But when I see people whom I have perhaps helped, I am inspired to spend the next year doing more.

Now, what does God want us to do (and want us to do more)? There are the old standards: study the Word, pray, assemble together for worship and fellowship, tithe, witness, love one another. But I feel the best way to get closer to the Lord, in addition to all of these things I’ve just mentioned, is to dedicate yourself to “being there” for others, to allow Jesus to be truly lived through you. Jesus’ earthly ministry was one of service to others, and by letting His life be shown through our charity (not necessarily of money, but of time), we will be truly blessed.

But this comes with a price. When we spend our most valuable resource of time on others, we can’t spend it on ourselves. But this sacrificing of self brings us closer to the character of Jesus. I can really think of no greater purpose in life than the purpose of others. How will we spend our time? Are we willing to pay the price? There are some decisions I’d give almost anything to go back and change. But I am glad I have chosen to do my best to help someone else, and I hope that when I reach the Autumn of my life, I can look back and see that, in some measure, I’ve succeeded.


© 2005, Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press. All rights reserved. All material printed on this site is protected by the copyright law of the United States. It may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Chris Keeton and Soulscape Press, obtainable by writing to soulscape@alltel.net. Altering or removing any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content is not permitted. Any and all portions of material copied from the Soulscape Blog must be properly attributed to Chris Keeton and Soulscape, and cited with original blog web address.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say every day "there aren't enough hours in the day." How true it is that we should be spending those few hours doing things that the Lord wishes for us to do. I only pray that He can guide me to be more like I should be.